“Me” Time Q & A
How do I know if the book “Me” Time: Finding the Balance Between Taking Care of Others and Taking Care of Yourself is for me?
You need this book if you:
• have difficulties with self-esteem, relationships, and/or perfectionism.
• take care of others at your own expense.
• grew up in a family in which your needs (emotional and/or physical) were not adequately met.
What if I’m not sure if the book applies to me?
Each chapter of the book starts with a mini-quiz that will let you know how beneficial that chapter will be for you. Click here for a sample of the quiz questions.
What will this book do for me?
• share stories of women who have had experiences similar to yours.
• help you realize why you think, feel, and act the way you do.
• help you to understand yourself and your family in a new way.
• give you practical, easy-to-apply tools to choose healthier thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
What topics does the book cover?
The book is divided into four sections of three chapters each.
Section One addresses issues that often bring women to therapy with me:
• Unbalanced responsibilities in family, work, and friendships
• Difficulties establishing a clear sense of self and saying no to requests
• Relationship problems with family members, partners, and coworkers
Section Two explores the origins of the issues covered in Section One:
• Unmet physical and emotional needs
• Growing up in an alcoholic or otherwise dysfunctional family
• The “inner child”
Section Three is about acceptance:
• Accepting the part of you that wishes your childhood had been different
• Accepting physical and/or mental illness and possible causes
• Acceptance as the first step towards hope
Section Four introduces practical techniques to improve your self-image, thoughts, feelings, and behaviors:
• Changing thoughts to change feelings
• Other helpful approaches, including rewriting your life story
• Learning to change the things you can and accept the things you can’t
What do I do once I’ve read the book?
Just reading the book will improve your self-understanding. It is most helpful, of course, if you apply the concepts to your life. Each chapter of the book ends with a “Putting It Into Action” section that shows you how to put the ideas into practice, including examples of how others have done so. Take your time going through the book; it can be a lot to take in all at once.